“With so many people saying it couldn’t be done, all it takes is an imagination.” ~Michael Phelps
With New Year’s here, a lot of us make New Year’s Resolutions…. many of our resolutions fail, but some of them are at least worthy of putting in a great effort!!!! In putting Michael Phelps’ quote into my own words “In my own mind, doing ____ couldn’t be done, or won’t be followed through with, but all it takes is imagination!!!” SO, for those of us who have made exercising more one of our resolutions – I wanted to share some of the REASONS WHY SWIMMING WOULD BE A GREAT EXERCISE CHOICE in 2012!
- Helps Your Heart and Lungs!!! Swimming works the heart and lungs. This trains the body to use oxygen more efficiently, which is generally reflected in declines in the resting heart rate and breathing rate.
- Makes You Stronger!!! Swimming builds longer, leaner muscles that complement the shorter denser muscles that develop from weight training. These “swimmer’s muscles” also help boost metabolism to keep calories burning longer.
- Increases Flexibility!!! A heated pool relaxes muscles, increasing flexibility and enabling important stretching.
- Very Low Chance of Injury!!! Water supports and cushions the body, eliminating the kind of pounding associated with running and other high impact activities. Because it’s easy on the joints and muscles, swimming is often recommended for people with arthritis and other chronic conditions. The resistance of water also allows you to work out vigorously with little chance of injury.
- Helps Lower Stress!!! (and come on now – we all could use a little stress reliever). There’s a relaxing, meditative side to swimming. It can come with letting your mind drift as you are bathed by soothing water, focusing on your breathing and your movements. This stress-busting aspect also contributes to the cardiovascular benefits of swimming.
- Helps Your Lose Weight!!! OK, that one just sells itself.
- Great for All Ages!!! From infants to the elderly, swimming is the kind of activity you can do across the life span, and needn’t given up late in life.
These are great reasons to swim, but if swimming isn’t for you, let’s use our imaginations (even if its just a vision of following through on something we’ve never done before) and make it happen! Happy New Year’s Everyone!!!!